Monday, July 5, 2010

Vogue Ideas

The June issue of Vogue (Blake Lively graced the cover) featured a limited edition Chanel jacket. It is absolutely beautiful. Vogue fashion editor, Edward Enninful, paired the jacket with a white Bottega Veneta bikini. I’m not entirely sure the classic Chanel tweed exactly screams “poolside ready!” In fact, I’m sure it doesn’t. But both pieces are totally gorgeous so I’ll ignore the questionable styling decision. Fashion isn’t always practical after all. And besides, I’m just glad the jacket snuck into the shoot.

Photo Credit: Mikael Jansson, Vogue


Vogue is classic and fabulous. I am like most other women in that I can't wait to devour it each month. I dream to work for Vogue (and more crucially alongside Anna Wintour) some day. The supposed horror stories and a silly exaggerated roman a clef (The Devil Wears Prada) can't scare me away. Her talent, style and grace speak for themselves.


But don’t get me wrong, I loved The Devil Wears Prada. Especially the movie: cute clothes, funny jokes (cheese cubes anyone?) and Adrian Grenier. Yum.



But there is one lingering problem with it (beyond the, shall we say, unfavorable portrait of Anna Wintour). It comes up every time I tell anyone my career aspirations. It seems everyone from college advisors to my wax esthetician has the same response. The conversation goes a little like this:


“What do you want to do with your life?”

“I am hoping to pursue a career in magazine journalism.”

“OH like the Devil Wears Prada!!”

“well…not exact”

-“I LOVED that movie”

“I mean I might want to write, style…”

-“Oh the style in that movie was just great wasn’t it? Looks like too much fun!!!!.”

“Yes the clothes were great…”

-“And Meryl!!”


Yes, Meryl can do no wrong. And the movie was great, again Adrian (Yum). But I have one serious bone to pick. Tracking down Harry Potter manuscripts from dishy authors isn’t what I mean when I say I want to pursue a career in magazine journalism. *Note, If you’re reading Anna: I will track down, make a duplicate copy, and bind a Harry Potter manuscript for you any day* And while I am not entirely sure in what capacity I’d like to work for a magazine just yet a few things are for sure. I am not Anne Hathaway. I do not envision my life as either Andy or Emily’s, but I do love fashion magazines (and Meryl).

No comments:

Post a Comment