Sunday, July 11, 2010

To Clog Or Not To Clog

As I sit here watching the World Cup final match, I find myself continually thinking about clogs (clearly since the US got eliminated, I’ve gone back to not paying a whole lot of attention to soccer). When clogs first started popping up a year or so back I figured their showing would be short. I thought the shoes might be a chance for the Dutch among us to briefly embrace their heritage with a modern twist. Or perhaps the shoes would allow the green thumbs to have their fun, trading their dirt stained gardening clogs for designer ones when preparing for a night out. But they’re still here and have been sported by a much larger audience than those who tend to vegetables and fruits or claim ancestors from the Netherlands. Chanel, Miu Miu, and even Louis Vuitton have sent models down the runway, strutting their stuff in the latest clogs.

Ultimately I’m undecided on the trend. These clogs all look pretty good. But really, what edgy boho trend can Mary Kate not pull off?



And yet, I find these Miu Miu clogs to be among the ugliest shoes I have ever encountered.

The line between wearable and downright ugly clogs seems to be ever so thin. And yes, you can say this about a lot of trends, but I'd argue that clogs have remarkably less wiggle room between hot and definitely not.

1 comment:

  1. the miu miu clogs are actually HIDEOUS...

    i say no to clogs, unless you are dutch or trying to pretend your dutch AND getting away with it.

    also, how could you be thinking about clogs when sneijder is on the screen!?

    ReplyDelete