Monday, July 26, 2010

Fashion Don't

Secretly, I’ve always wanted to work for Glamour’s Fashion Don’ts page. Just for an issue or two because I find tracking down street photos that look fresh out of Peopleofwalmart.com strangely appealing. I began wondering about which trends bother me the most. I’m pretty into stylistic choices and believe that practically anything can be worn right if styled correctly, so only a few over attacked trends initially came to mind.

However, there is one active choice that business-women make daily that drives me nuts. Slipping on a pair of heinous (“comfortable”) shoes for your commute to work before gliding into your heels at the office. Awful. I really don’t know why people think this is ok. You’ll see far more people rocking your terrible shoes and bizarre outfit during your commute than in the office.

I snapped all of these photos this morning. In just 5 minutes hanging around downtown I saw 9 women promoting this choice. I tried not to be overtly obvious when taking the photos, unclear if I succeeded, so not all of them were blog ready (I’ll train Glamour, don’t you worry). But for now, here is my very own fashion don’t photo-collection, minus the black bars to hide people's faces:


Alright so I threw one man in there...but he has even less of an excuse.

Come on people, there are numerous alternatives to the skirt suit paired with sneakers and athletic socks look. Walk in sandals or flats on the way to work and then swap them for heels, just rock stylish flats at the office, or god forbid, learn to walk in heels.

4 comments:

  1. I do agree that really is a terrible faux-pas if you don't live far away from your place of employment or only have to walk a few blocks too and from your office from the subway or bus stop...

    however, what about the women who use their commute to work as a way to get legitimate exercise?

    I guess I only mention this because when I used to live in Madrid I would use my 3 km walk to and from school everyday as my main form of exercise. Of course I did it in flats or cute sandals, but by the end of the summer even my 18-year-old body was having a hard time pounding the pavement.

    Any exceptions to the rule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this needs to become a regular blog feature, and you need to promise not to ever put me on it regardless of how many opportunities i give you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren I do agree that walking to work can be a wonderful exercise opportunity. Hence why I promote the flat option, like you did. Or just wear comfy clothes and then change all together later? I think those are the best options. It is a tough call.

    And deal ariane. I am rather stealthy. Getting those shots without being noticed (at least i hope)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My opinion: wear chic versatile shoes if you're doing serious walking.

    For most, I doubt that office attire is suitable for exercise. School clothes are probably another matter.

    ReplyDelete