Friday, July 16, 2010

Silly, Silly Bandz


It seems like "silly bandz" are sweeping the nation. They are the new pokeman cards, digital pet toys, and Chia pets. In fact, I’ve seen a 12 year old stuff an entire small handbag full of them—I can kind of see the appeal, but also kind of not. The kids can do their thing though; it’s when I see adults rocking these bright bands on their wrists when I become concerned. Just last week, I saw a group of six businessmen talking in a restaurant. Two of them, 30-something (unmarried, I checked, ie can’t blame it on the kiddies) were displaying colorful plastic on their wrists. I was ever so tempted to approach them and ask them what shape their silly bandz were. Were they cupcakes? Or Hearts? Maybe they were the glitter type? Seriously regretting that I didn’t.
The silly bandz come in all shapes and sizes. You just never know what the bracelet’s identity truly is. On the fourth of july, an acquaintance went in search of patriotic sillybands. Perhaps some fireworks and stars, all in red white and blue. The best thing he could find? Ah yes, guns, tanks and army men. Go USA.

2 comments:

  1. This is a bizarre trend! I can't say I've seen any yet, though. They really don't sound appealing for either sex, but maybe I'm just not getting something.
    Gun sounds kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about pogs and slap bracelets. We're playing this one for keeps...

    ReplyDelete