Monday, August 9, 2010

Fashion Don’t: Look Silly While Flying... The Immense Importance of “High Flying" Style

When you glimpse through old photos it seems flying used to be a big deal. People put on their Sunday best to hop aboard the jet. Sure, flying is no longer restricted to the wealthy and glamour has certainly dropped, but how did flying attire plummet from utter chic to juicy valor sweat suits and UGGS?
While preparing for travel, I think comfy chic. You really never know who you’ll spot in the airport and I for one, will not be donning UGGS in front of a chance run in with my dream boss, celebrity crush, or influential person x y or z. And besides, when you look good, the kind gentleman in the row behind you will be that much more inclined to squeeze your overstuffed suitcase into the overhead bin for you.

Here, Will looks great! See it's not very hard.
Needless to say, we all are used to spotting extremely unfortunate outfits in the airport. But I was subjected to a new low a few days ago when returning home from Europe. While he didn’t look like a slob, per say, his outfit choice was really quite awful and frankly I would have rather seen him in valor suit rocking MUGGS (Man Uggs).

He selected a white short sleeve button down (it’s coming) and chose to only button the bottom button… exposing his rather large belly and natural “sweater.” Ah yes, his fat and chest hair was exposed and sitting next to me for 11 long hours. I know Europeans are rather open with their style (usually I applaud this) but this was just overwhelming. We’re not on a beach! We’re on a freezing international flight… It really baffles me how he wasn’t the least bit chilly. I suppose fashion is pain.

Of course I snapped some photos:
To make matters worse he will be meeting his girlfriend’s parents immediately upon our arrival and that was his outfit selection. Wonderful impression, I’m sure.

I am thinking I’ll make it my life mission to bring style back to flying. I will stop at nothing. Grass root movements, demonstrations, advertising campaigns—the works.


1 comment: