Sunday, August 29, 2010

Letter From the Editor

It's my dream to have the opportunity to write a monthly feature for a magazine. A letter from the editor, a back page or an intro letter to the style section, a la Nina Garcia. I flip through countless fashion magazines and definitely have my favorite and not so favorites.

I love it when the letters aren't just shameless promotions for what's in the magazine that month. Often, it seems letters are just a written translation of the coverlines or one more chance to gush at the celebrity featured that month. By the time I'm reading the letter, I've already purchased the magazine. I don't need to read what the cover says again. I've already spent my 5 dollars.

With that said, I always look forward to reading Joe Zee's "Elle Style A to Zee." His letter is relevant to the issue without being repetitive or boring. This past issue, he proposed five different "first impression" outfits and had interns and Elle staff model them. Real girls with real looks straight from a fashion maven.
His column is personal too. He always includes personal anecdotes, whether it's him learning how to DJ or what classic trends he swears by, each month is an exciting sneak peek at his fabulous job as Elle's creative director and more importantly what skills and passion it takes to get there. It's a breath of fresh air to get something for the letters instead of just flip to page 265 for Fall's must have items!

I think many columns and letters from the editor could use a serious shake up. Hopefully I'll be able to do my part soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment