Friday, October 1, 2010

Magazine Addiction

I feel like I am single handedly keeping the magazine industry alive. I have a serious weakness and can never resist buying the glossy covers when I’m checking out at the grocery store. Some people get distracted by chocolate or candy—not me. Sometimes I get home to unpack my milk and eggs only to find the newest issue of Marie Claire tucked in my eco-friendly reusable bag without even realizing that I bought it. Seriously. Most people blame their coffee addictions for an extra $14 a week, or $784 a year. It’s not caffeine that dents my wallet; it’s fashion. And that’s before even considering the actual clothes and jewelry I buy.

How can you resist this?

I know the answer is to subscribe, rather than paying $5 per magazine, per month. But I can never seem to get over the fact that I’m never in the same place and will miss out on 4 issues a year (or have to constantly battle with changing addresses, trust me when I tell you it’s not as easy as you might think).

The other day someone asked me which magazines I read: Marie Claire, Elle, Vogue, Glamour, Cosmo consistently and then the occasional Harpers, Teen Vogue, and W. I attempted to calculate the how much I spend on magazine. The results weren’t so pretty. It’ll pain me to post my estimate.

If nothing else, my own foolish spending might guarantee that my dream jobs still exist in a few years… At least I’m doing my part?

No comments:

Post a Comment